Re: [OM] New monitor recommendations?

Subject: Re: [OM] New monitor recommendations?
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 17:20:52 +0800
I don't have a solid recommendation at the moment but I can share my experience here. In 2016 I upgraded by Dell U2412 (24-inch, 1920x1200 IPS) to Dell U2515H (25-inch, 2560x1440 IPS) for more workspace (more pixels) and better color accuracy. The U2515H is rather accurate out of the box so I have skipped the calibration while the U2412 must be calibrated to work, otherwise the black (dark) point was just not right.

So far so good until I was spending more time in edit my old videos which are mainly at 50fps. I started looking for a VRR monitor which works at 50 and 60fps. Early last year, the Gigabyte M27Q (Rev2) just popped up with a very attractive price. It is a 27-inch IPS with max refresh rate of 170Hz. I have skipped the idea of buying a 4K monitor at 27-inch since the text size will be too small and a 32-inch seems too big for my desktop (price was of course a issue).

Recently, I have purchased a Sony Xperia 5V as my go everywhere video camera. It shot 4K up to 120fps and also support HLG video. It was the first time I saw such bright and high dynamic scene on a monitor (the phone monitor). Only at that time I found I have missed so much in the pass. (I have a Panasonic G9 which I have shot some 10bit HLG videos but I just converted them to BT709 without knowing what it really does.)

I started to search for HLG and HDR on the web. I found my M27Q also support HDR and I started to play with HDR video and photo. The TRUE HDR is huge differ from the HDR photo that I learnt before, the real ones are just so brilliant.

Unfortunately, I just found my M27Q leave a lot to be desired, the contrast is not so good (back point too high) for HDR view and may be even for photo editing. My next monitor will be an OLED one for the best contrast and a wide screen for even more workspace for video editing.

True HDR Photo is still too early for now, there are not many photo editing software available. Adobe support it but I'm not ready to pay :-)

At the mean time I will use DaVinci Resolve Studio to generate my HDR Video and Photo. The next step is to replace my 10 years old LCD HDTV to a 4K HDR OLED TV. As now I only have a Sony phone and the M27Q for viewing HDR materials, they are just too small :-)

C.H.Ling