[OM] IMG: Rzeszów

Subject: [OM] IMG: Rzeszów
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 07:06:09 +0200
I spent a few days earlier this month in Rzeszów, a town of about 250,000
inhabitants in south-eastern Poland. Despite its relatively modest size, it is
the main city in a rather thinly populated part of the country, about 100 km
from the Slovak border to the south and 90 km from the Ukraine border to the
east. Because of this proximity and the fact that it has a good airport,
Rzeszów has become one of the main transit points for western military aid to
Ukraine, and “just in case”, its airport is well protected with Patriot defence
systems (sadly, there is no good place from where to photograph them, as the
best view is from a busy road where one cannot stop).

Besides this recent involvement in the war, Rzeszów has a long and (like most
of Poland) sometimes painful history. It was part of the Austro-Hungarian
empire between 1795 and 1918, a time when Poland did not exist as a state,
having been carved up among its large neighbours Russia, Austria-Hungary and
Prussia. But also, like the rest of Poland, it has experienced a renaissance
since the fall of Communism in 1989, and is today a vibrant and lively place. I
was there last year also, so some of the places you will have seen before, but
this time I explored some other areas, especially a very nice, long riverside
promenade known simply as “the Boulevard”.

A gallery of 84 images is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/Rzeszów-August-2024

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman