[OM] IMG: Santander

Subject: [OM] IMG: Santander
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 06:08:45 +0200
My last business trip before the summer break was a short visit to Santander in
northern Spain earlier this week to participate in a roundtable at the
Universidad Internacional Menendéz Pelayo, part of a week-long summer school
session organised every year by the Spanish IP office. I flew there on Sunday
evening, stayed in a hotel near the beach, gave my talk at the university on
Monday morning and took a train back to Alicante around lunchtime (no flights
in the afternoon, so a rather long 7 hour train ride was the only option to get
back on Monday). So my sight-seeing was limited to a couple of hours on Sunday
evening, and a 1 1/2 km walk from my hotel to the site of the event on Monday
morning. Still, I saw enough to conclude that Santander is a beautiful place. I
have often heard people here say that the cities in northern Spain are much
nicer than the coastal cities here in the south of the country, mainly because
they are much less affected by mass tourism. Certainly, based on what I saw in
Santander, this is true.

A short gallery of 30 images, mostly from the area around the beach, and the
Palacio de la Magdalena, a palace built around 100 years ago as a royal summer
residence, today a conference centre and the site of the university summer
school where I spoke. The magnificent dining room in one of the images towards
the end is actually where the roundtable discussion took place.

Have a look here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/Santander-July-2024

Cheers,
Nathan